Course Desciption and Info
5 Day Immersion Course Description
Understanding Action Geometry
Learn the fundamentals of action design and how 8,800 discrete action components function and work together to form this living, breathing, dynamic center of the piano.
Selecting the Correct Replacement Parts
Become trained in how to select and match properly dimensioned action parts for different piano scales and performance criteria, and to create custom parts for pianos where original parts are no longer available.
Action Parts Preparation
Discover the secret of how to achieve the optimum inertia and movement of the action by assuring uniformity in the bushings, pinning, and alignment of the sub-component parts.
Hammerhead Selection, Preparation, Voicing, & Hanging to Shanks
Gain valuable insights into how felt is actually produced and how the felting process determines certain voicing techniques. Learn the correct hammer boring, shaping, and tailing techniques in this hands on class, and master the art of filing and voicing, and custom fitting the hammers to the shanks.
Action Parts Installation
Complete a personal, hands-on installation of the action components on the action frame under the direction of experienced professionals.
Perform a complete action regulation, including the installation of back checks, let-off buttons, and key rebushing. Learn the inter-relationships of the action parts and how to align them to achieve the optimum level of responsiveness and performance throughout the scale in this intense, 12-hour, hands-on training.
Damper Underlever System Installation
Learn how to custom design & install a complete underlever system in virtually any grand piano.
Expanding Your Rebuilding Business
Improve your ability to sell better quality and more profitable rebuilding jobs with professional sales and communication techniques.
- Welcome reception and opening event starts on Sunday afternoon
- Full week of instruction Monday through Friday (see course description)
- Breakfast, lunch, and snacks provided each day
- Experience working inside the Build Studio where the Ravenscroft Pianos are handcrafted
- Optional 2-hour “bonus night” presentation on felt and hammer making
- Student workbook with course information
- All tools and equipment needed will be provided for use throughout the week
- Networking with instructors and other student technicians
- Informal discussions with instructors throughout the week
- Banquet and Graduation Ceremony on Friday evening
- Certificate of Completion
- Professionally written individual business profile and a press release announcing your accomplishment
- Optional “VIP tour” of the Musical Instrument Museum included on Saturday
Class Location and Accommodations
Classroom instruction will take place inside The Ravenscroft, a 30,000-square-foot music venue and multi-use space located in Scottsdale, AZ.
Students are responsible for their transportation to and from The Ravenscroft each day according to the class schedule that will be provided following registration. Shuttle service will be provided between that facility and the other nearby locations that will also be a part of this experience, including the Ravenscroft Build Studio, the Graduation Banquet location, and the optional trip to the Musical Instrument Museum on Saturday.
Special room rates will be offered at the Scottsdale Marriott at McDowell Mountains, located a half mile from The Ravenscroft (a 10-minute walk), but students may make arrangements to stay wherever they wish.